Thursday, July 2, 2009

Unfinished Business

Why the High Drop-out Rate?

Maybe finishing is too hard, or there are too many "urgent, but unimportant" distractions, or people just don't like to practice their craft.

I recently completed a Tai Chi class. Through this "soft" form of martial arts, body and breathing work together as a single unit with no wasted effort. Results include improved health, mental calmness and clarity. By the fifth class half the students had dropped out and only 20% completed the course. I wonder why?

About the same percentage of my clients do not follow through [to my satisfaction] with the solutions they paid me to develop and model for them. I hope it's not the quality of my work. I don't think so. I feel bad when they don't establish a legacy foothold for these plans or programs.

How about sales reps? Why don't they spend more time practicing in order to improve their skills? Think about the college basketball player who practices 2-3 hours each day in order to play two 40 minute games each week.

I am impressed when I meet business leaders who ensure sustainability by not compromising the long term due to short term thinking.

By John Bernardi

No comments:

Post a Comment